Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wow, that was thorough

Hello children of the internets (still your name)! Remember my entry yesterday about how I didn't have to go to school because of educational testing? Well that happened today. Let's talk about it, shall we?

I woke up at 8 to get picked up at 8:40 to get there by 9. It was awesome because I went to bed around 11:30 last night, so I got 8.5 hours of sleep, WHICH WAS WONDERFUL! So we got there around 8:55, and we ended up standing outside of the wrong suite for about 20 minutes. The suites in this building are laid out oddly, they have a number and a letter. The problem is the letter is only specified at the beginning of the hallway. We were supposed to be outside of 207C, but we kept knocking on 207D (without knowing), until the person in there finally asked why we were knocking on their door. Come to think of it, we were knocking for about 20 minutes, and why the person didn't answer the door like any normal person would, is beyond me.
Anyway, we got to the correct suite around 9:20. Dr. Slomka (the dude who was doing my testing) didn't seem to care (or even notice). Anyway, the testing began around 9:30. We started with a "simple" drawing thingy. I was given a design of some sort, and had to re-draw it under it. The first ones were easy because they were just lines. But, then came the REALLY HARD ones, like cubes, and tesseracts (at least I thought it looked like a tesseract) and some sort of crazy ring system that I just failed at.
Then came some other tests and stuff. I think from this point on I'm going to talk about specific tests that were either really hard, really easy, or ones I did really well at.
The memory tests were interesting. For one of them, I was given a sequence of numbers and I had to repeat them back to him in either the same order, or smallest to biggest, that one was both hard and easy. I did well, but it was kind of annoying. Another test was I was given a sequence of letters and numbers, and I had to group the numbers into smallest to biggest, and put the letters in alphabetical order. That one was REALLY CHALLENGING, but I didn't get any of them wrong, surprisingly.
There was also the memory test in which you were told a story and had to repeat it back to him in as much detail as possible. I was told two stories, and I did really well with repeating them back. What I did not know was that I was going to be asked about them AGAIN a half hour later. What was interesting about that was that I gave more detail that time than before. My brain is weird. Another memory test (there were a lot of them) was you were given a list of 16 words, and had 4 tries to repeat as much of them back as you could. I got 9 of them on the first try. Apparently that's 4 words above average. I had gotten all of them by the third try. I was also asked about that list a half hour later, and I was able to remember 13 of the 16 words. I HAVE TOO GOOD OF A MEMORY OKAY.
Another test (not a memory one) I found rather interesting (and actually kind of fun) was where I was given a picture, and had to write a story with a beginning, middle, and end. My only restriction was that I had 5 minutes. Thankfully my picture was a picture of some guy on the moon, so I was able to come up with a really interesting story. It was about a guy named Martin, who lived on the Luna 3 colony and was a miner and he discovered evidence of ancient life on the moon. It's not scientifically accurate (especially because I said the Hubble telescope was still going after 57 years, which sadly won't happen), but that wasn't what they were going for, they wanted me to be creative, and I was. Yay! I was very proud of myself with that story. The only problem is I had to hand write it, so they probably won't be able to read it. :'( It was such a good story though! I may even post it later.

Anyway, the testing lasted from 9:30 to 3:30 with a one hour break for lunch at 12. The testing was REALLY thorough, and after the first three hours I felt like I would have rather been in school giving my speech, but it was worth it because now I get to have special accommodations for the SAT. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment