Tuesday, October 30, 2012

There's nothing wrong with a little harmless fun

This is a response to something I found today in my Facebook newsfeed. What I found was this.

It's someone on the interwebs having an opinion about a page that I find pretty cool. They make some valid points, but they're way too general about it. They say that anyone who likes that page doesn't actually like science. That is DEFINITELY not true. I like it, and I DEFINTELY fucking love science. Also, I found out about the page through a radio astronomer (WHICH IS A TYPE OF SCIENTIST, BTW). The page does post stupid shit sometimes, but they also post funny things, and really cool things. The person basically says that if you like that, you obviously don't like science. Contrary to popular belief, scientists do have a sense of humor. In fact, they have the best senses of humor, because they are INTELLIGENT about it. This page isn't a page for pure science, it's to have FUN, something that person doesn't seem to understand. While it is true that probably not EVERYONE who likes the page actually loves science, that doesn't mean that NO ONE does. That's just wrong. Whenever the page does post stupid shit, I just ignore it. But, more often than not, it posts either really funny, really cool, or really interesting things. They also say that since you like the page, you don't actually like science, you like photography. SINCE WHEN ARE THOSE TWO THINGS MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE!?!?!?! I fucking love science, and I fucking love scientific photography. LOOK AT MY BACKGROUND FOR THE NONEXISTENT GOD'S SAKE! It's a GODSDAMN NEBULA! A PHOTO (short for photograph, which is also part of photography) that I took. Photography is also really useful in science. Without photos, we wouldn't know ANYTHING about the universe. There are many things that the human eye can't see. And many things that you can't see visually in a telescope. You NEED to collect the light, and then compile it into a PHOTOGRAPH. I know that after I did that, I had this strong urge to share what I had just done with everyone. That's what that page is doing when they post photos. They are sharing something incredible (or something funny, but still).

I really don't understand what that dude who made that thing has against IFLS. It's a great page that posts many awesome things. The fact that you like it doesn't automatically make you NOT like science. That just angers me that that person thinks that.

No comments:

Post a Comment