Wednesday, October 10, 2012

So, I was told to make a planet

So, this one told me I should make a planet. I told her that that is quite the task for someone like me, who is not always that creative, and is rather focused on scientific accuracy's. But, for who knows why, I'm going to attempt to do it. It could either be incredibly detailed to the point of obnoxiousness, or like incredibly under detailed. Shall we begin? We shalst:

So, I would call my planet Gallifrey, because I'm a boss like that. Now that we have that out of the way, let's go through its formation!
It would be formed around a G-type star, almost a solar twin, but a bit smaller so it would have a longer life. There would be a Jupiter-sized object in the outer stellar system to clean up any rogue comets that threaten to destroy this fledgling world. It would form in the habitable zone of the star, as it has to if it wants to have life on it. After the initial bombardment of comets and asteroids to deliver the water, everything is all happy until BAM! A Mars sized body hits this forming protoplanet and knocks off a significant portion of its mass, but then out of this mass forms a satellite body, which is necessary to stabilize its axis and make the climate more livable. After this impact, however, the entire surface of the planet is molten. This is important so that the heavier things (iron) settle in the core, and the dynamo forms so the planet can have a magnetic field for protection against stellar storms, and the lighter things stay closer to the top to make the crust. After the planet cools and everything settles, the atmosphere has formed and the water condenses, and the oceans, and all other bodies of water, form. In one of these bodies of water, after many millions of years, life emerges. This life is useful, in the fact that it feeds on carbon dioxide, which is the majority of the atmosphere at this stage in the planets evolution, and releases oxygen, which transforms the atmosphere from a carbon dioxide-nitrogen atmosphere, to a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere, which then sets the ground for more complex life to form. It does, it's all happy until BAM! *SCIENCE ENDS HERE* Another giant body hits the planet, but only enough to wipe out the complex life forms, the plants and stuff that makes oxygen is still there and it's all pretty and stuff.
Then there's le me. I'm in my amazing starship built by The Ninjandacornomorph, and I come across this star system. I say "WHOA OMNG HABITABLE PLANET!!!" and I go and investigate it for signs of intelligent life. *SCIENCE BEGINS AGAIN HERE* There is none, and I'm confused because a planet of this age, and this stage of evolution should have complex life, but doesn't. I say "WHOA THIS PLANET IS PRETTY I SHOULD GO SETTLE IT!" and I then proceed to settle this planet. The satellite body that I mentioned earlier is still there, stabilizing the planets axis and rotation, but it's different from our moon because it's *SCIENCE TAKES A BREAK HERE* covered in this black material that absorbs all of the light from the star and doesn't reflect any, but doesn't heat up because it's full of magic pony dust, or whatnot, and also makes this satellite body transparent because the magical elves of spacetime told it to be transparent.*SCIENCE IS BACK BITCHES* I then land on this planet, and make a makeshift shelter for the night. I don't have to worry about bugs or anything because all the complex life was destroyed, except for the plants which make oxygen because science was texting its girlfriend at that time and couldn't make everything accurate because it was too busy. When I look up at night, I see the most gorgeous night sky in the universe. *Science is on a potential hiatus, as I'm not sure if this next part is possible or not* This star system happened to have migrated into a new star-forming region, so the sky is filled with bright, young, blue stars, and beautiful glowing gas from the nebula. And you can see the galactic arm through this nebula, and it's just amazing. *SCIENCE IS BACK* My first night there, one of the stars in this nebula goes supernova, but since it's far enough away it doesn't shoot radiation at the planet, which is always a plus. What it does do though is make an incredibly bright supernova which I can use my handy-dandy megatelescope to observe in various wavelengths and study supernovae. Anyway, I continue to remain on this planet for the rest of my life, after inviting various friends over to my planet for parties and fun times. And then we all live happily ever after. The end.

Well that was weird. Why did I do that? Tell me what you all think in the comments. And by you all I mean basically Aki.


Also, this is the best panel ever: Our Future In Space panel from TAM Las Vegas 2011

SCIENTISTS ARE AMAZING ERMAHGERD

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That was incredibly scientific....Though I did predict that that would happen. But you did it!!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like the planet's name? DOCTOR WHO FTW!

      Delete