Thursday, November 8, 2012

TV Shows I like and My Family

Hi everyone. This blog post is going to be obnoxiously long and detailed. Why? I'll tell you why: Fucking speech class, that's why. I have to give my 5 minute impromptu speech tomorrow and I gave my list of 5 topics, three of which I already have blog entries about, so I need to make these two topics into something that I can talk about. Wish me luck:

TV Shows I like (this one I could probably talk about for 5 minutes now, but it would be rather unorganized, so let's organize it now):

I personally like quite a few TV shows. Most of them are Science fiction, but not all of them. My favorite ones, in no specific order, are Star Trek, Doctor Who, Eureka, Warehouse 13, The Big Bang Theory, Doc Martin, Psych, and 3rd Rock From the Sun. I'm going to tell you today about as many of these as I have time for to today.
Let's start with Star Trek. I bet everyone here has heard of Star Trek at least once, probably more than that . The franchise began in the 1960s, specifically 1964 (I think), with the start of The Original Series, although at the time it was just called Star Trek. It followed the adventures of Captain James T. Kirk, captain of the Federation Starship USS Enterprise, and his crew of officers, Mr. Spock, the Vulcan science officer and first officer of the Enterprise, Scotty, the engineer, Uhura, the communications officer, Sulu, the helmsman, and everyone else. That show lasted for 3 seasons, and then was cancelled. Then when Star Wars came out in the 70s, the company that owned Star Trek at the time thought that they should make it into a movie to battle Star Wars. The movie was pretty successful. 5 more movies which were based off the original series were made, and at one point during these movies they decided that they would make a new Star Trek TV series.
This became Star Trek: The Next Generation. This series was set 100 or so years after The Original Series. It had a completely different cast and far better special effects than The Original Series as well. This series followed the adventures of Captain Jean-Luc Picard, and his crew off officers, Commander William T. Riker, first officer, Lt. Commander Data, 2nd officer and science officer, he was also an android, Lt. Worf, the Klingon security officer, Doctor Beverly Crusher, ship's doctor, Lt. Commander Geordi LaForge, the engineer, and Deanna Troi, the ship's councilor. Originally the series wasn't very well received well because of the differences from the original. But, over time the series became very successful, running for 7 seasons and giving birth to 2 spin-offs, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was a very different type of Star Trek series than everyone else was used to at the time. The two other series were set on starships exploring the Galaxy, while this one was set on a space station, Deep Space Nine. Deep Space Nine was in orbit around the planet Bajor, which was a planet previously occupied by the Cardassians (not the same thing as the Kardashians), and had just gained their independence and had requested that the Federation send people from Starfleet to help get them prepared for joining the Federation. It followed the adventures of Commander (later Captain) Benjamin Sisko, Major Kira Nerys, Doctor Julian Bashir, Petty Officer Miles O'Brien (who was originally a recurring Character on The Next Generation, and they liked him so much they decided to give him a full time part on this new show), and Lt. Jadzia Dax, and also later in the series Worf, from Next Generation, became part of the show after The Next Generation had ended. The show was pretty successful, running for 7 seasons.
The other spin-off that Next Generation gave birth to was Star Trek: Voyager. Voyager premiered right after The Next Generation finished. It followed the adventures of Captain Kathryn Janeway (the first female captain of Star Trek), of the USS Voyager, which gets flung into the Delta Quadrant, 75,000 light years form Earth, in the first episode and the rest of the series is the story of Voyager trying to get home. Voyager is my favorite of the Star Trek series. It also happens to be the one in which the captain dies the most, 9 times in all. Everyone on the show had at least one episode in which they died. Voyager was also very successful, following the trend of the other two series and lasted for 7 seasons.

Now let's talk about Doctor Who. I discovered this show last summer in July. Multiple friends of mine had been telling me to watch it for as long as I can remember, so I finally decided to give into their demands and watch it. I'm very glad I did because I ended up really liking it. So, what is Doctor Who about? It follows the adventures of The Doctor, a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, who can regenerate after before he dies and change his whole body (which is how the series has been going on so long, they just change the lead actor), and he travels the universe in his ship called the TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension In Space), which is disguised as a 1960s London police public call box. He is normally traveling with at least one companion, normally a woman from Earth. The series has technically been going on since 1963, although it was cancelled in 1989, with only a movie in 1996 between its rival in 2005. I haven't seen much of the old series, but from what I have seen it was okay, but the special effects were bad and the plot lines were kind of cheesy. My main focus is the new series. It follows the adventures of the 9th, 10th, and 11th doctors (so far), who is now the last of the Time Lords after having to wipe out everyone to end the Time War. Through the series so far he has had about 6 companions, Rose Tyler, Jack Harkness, Martha Jones, Donna Noble (my favorite companion), and Amy Pond + Rory Williams. The last two just left in the series 7 finale back in September. I like Doctor Who because it's really imaginative. The plots are very original and a lot of them are kinds of plots you could only find in a TV show like this.

Now, let's talk about Eureka. Eureka is a sy-fy original series which may make it sound like it would be bad to some people, but it is actually a REALLY good show. It is about this small town in the middle of nowhere Oregon called Eureka. It's a secret town where all of the best scientists come and do research at Eureka's research center called Global Dynamics. The main plot of the show is that something goes wrong with this research someone has to fix it, normally the town sheriff, Jack Carter, who is the main character of the show. I like Eureka because I thought it was really well written and had some really good characters and plots. Sadly, the show got cancelled last year and the series finale happened last April.

(If I still have time I'll talk about WH13) wordswordswordswords

So, those are some of the TV Shows I like. If any of them interested you they are all on Netflix if you have it, so you can check them out if you want.


I was going to talk about my family here, but when I started I realized I don't have 5 minutes worth of words on them. I'm just going to HOPE TO THE FRAKKING NONEXISTENT GODS THAT I DON'T GET THIS TOPIC!

Wish me fucking luck internet. I'll be sure to blog about how it goes tomorrow at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment