Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Indescribable feeling

First, I want to share a quote that I made! I know it's a bit arrogant of me to quote myself, but I want to so here:
"Space is just beautiful. Not the space you see in photos, that's fake space. I'm talking about the space you see with your own eyes. Whether it be with a telescope, binoculars, or just plain looking up, space is just beautiful."
-  Jacob Block

Now for the entry, beginning with a Carl Sagan quote. This one isn't just amazing because it's Carl Sagan, it's a quote that comes the closest to putting that feeling I talk about later into words:


"The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us — there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a great height. We know we are approaching the grandest of mysteries."
- Carl Sagan

So that quote is now my new subheader.

But it's more than that. It describes that feeling that me, and everyone else who has a strong passion for the wonderful science called astronomy, gets when they think about the vast universe we, as humans, inhabit and effect everyday. As I was outside with my telescope for the first time in about 2 months, I remembered the amazing feeling one gets when one observes space with their own eyes (+2 mirrors and a lens). The vastness of what you are observing overwhelms you and you just become filled with wonder. To think that, me, a small speck, on a small speck, in a system of small specks, orbiting a slightly bigger speck, in a system of slightly bigger specks, can observe a place where these specks are born, 15,000 lightyears away. And by moving the observing tool (the telescope) over a little bit on the sky, you can observe a WHOLE SEPARATE SYSTEM of specks, 2.5 MILLION lightyears away. That means that the light I saw from that system has been traveling for 2.5 million years. The universe is seriously THAT BIG. It's amazing, and overwhelming at times, but it fills all of us astronomers with a feeling like no other. An indescribable feeling that words do not do justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment